HANDMADE IN SUNNY CALIFORNIA
Committed to the Community - and the Environment
A19 is much more than a lighting company. Woman-owned and operated in a close family-style environment; we respect the impact our business has on the social and physical environment. We recycle the clay we use to create the lighting fixtures. The water we use is filtered before it leaves our factory. In shipping, we use recycled boxes, bubble wrap, and office materials. We developed new ways to make our manufacturing energy efficient without compromising product quality. The clay bodies and glazes that we use require less energy to create durable, long-lasting fixtures. And, the kilns we use are specifically calibrated for energy efficiency. Additionally, we believe in sourcing our materials locally. In other words, we are helping to build employment in the region and keep money in the area. In addition, we are reducing fuel usage and our carbon footprint.
All of Our Products are Green
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do. For example, our ceramic and glass– two of the world’s oldest materials– are made from natural clay (earth) and silica (sand).
The following is how we continue to create products that support the environment and our clients’ health:
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. A19 has recycling and reclaiming programs in place. We start by reclaiming nearly every speck of clay, every shard of glass, and every drop of water involved in making our fixtures. We then sort recyclables and “trash,” which is recycled locally. Additionally, A19’s packaging is made from recycled content and is fully recyclable.
- Storm water. A19 participates in a city storm water management program. This is in compliance with the provisions of the Federal Clean Water Act. The Act is to protect water quality by preventing the introduction of pollutants.
- Safety. The clays that we use in our fixtures have been evaluated by a nationally certified toxicologist using the American Society for Testing and Materials Standards. Our clays do not contain any material in sufficient quantity to be toxic or to constitute a chronic health hazard.
- No off-gassing. A19’s ceramic wall sconces and pendants are inert and odorless, and outlast comparable metal lighting fixtures.
- Energy Efficient. A19 fixtures are available to accommodate energy efficient LED light bulbs.
- Dark-Sky compliant. Many of our wall sconces help reduce light pollution based on the International Dark-Sky Association’s requirements. Artificial light at night has been shown to affect the mating, migration, and predation behaviors of many different species. Consequently, the ecological community as a whole is affected. Whether outdoor light is directly adjacent to a species habitat or located at some distance, lights have the potential to disrupt the functioning of entire ecosystems.